Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Garbldigook.

Nate Berkus said that the way your home looks is a reflection on how your mind works. Or something like that. And I'm guessing he wasn't the only one who said it. Whatever.
I heard that and thought, "Yeah. That sounds about right." (After my first very 90's thought of "Bite me.") I look around my living room, which is where all three of us (5 if you count the cats) spend 90% of our waking hours. Let's start with the walls. They are a fabulous design and color scheme that a professional handled. Hanging on those walls are snapshots of my family (mostly Brynn) that capture various happy memories....Halloween costumes, bathtime, picking out a pumpkin, the beach. Totally digging the brain/room metaphor so far.
Then I get to the floor area. We have two couches nabbed at a great consignment store price. They will be our couches until we no longer have toddlers and cats with claws. I'll just put it that way. There is a beautiful toy chest that the magnificent cousin Heather made for Brynn crammed as full as possible. Then strewn about in no particular order are Brynn's current favorite things...a jar of marbles, a box of play-doh, paper dolls, Barbies, and blocks. We do our best to pick up these things at the end of the day, but if they don't make it back into their "homes" that this organizationally-impaired lady came up with, I really don't stress about it. It stresses me way more to try to keep it neat and tidy and watch Brynn "destroy" it.
Could this really be what my brain looks like? I didn't even mention the basket of stuff waiting to be labeled for an upcoming consignment sale and a bag of beads I'm determined to do something with. Yes, my brain is a bit scattered, but it is filled and covered with what is important. I was created by a Professional, and all the wonderful things that fill my mind are from others. I have my memories displayed neatly, while the present may still need a little sorting out. I have a few things wandering around on my to-do list, but they're not as important as the time spent with my little one.
Much like this less-than-organized blog post, I'm not the most streamlined thinker-housekeeper-mom-teacher. Thankfully, I'm blessed with those around me that fill in my gaps and love me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment