Saturday, January 14, 2012

Just walk home...

John 4:46-54

New International Version (NIV)

46 Once more he visited Cana in Galilee, where he had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum. 47 When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death.

48 “Unless you people see signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.”

49 The royal official said, “Sir, come down before my child dies.”

50 “Go,” Jesus replied, “your son will live.”

The man took Jesus at his word and departed. 51 While he was still on the way, his servants met him with the news that his boy was living. 52 When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, “Yesterday, at one in the afternoon, the fever left him.”

53 Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” So he and his whole household believed.

This is one story I read this morning during my Bible study. I got back out my Discerning God's Voice workbook so I could finish the days I didn't do the first time around when I was in the group.

Every time before I write a blog like this I pray that God will give me the words to write and that someone will be touched by it. That is one--maybe the only--thing in my life that I have faith in like the official in this story.

This shows me another example of God not doing things how we thought it would be done. This man walked about 20 miles to ask Jesus to come back with him and heal his son. Jesus spoke and it was done. Now is when the official gets really admirable to me.

He went home!

Change the character in this story to Lacy, and the following conversation would have occurred:

"Umm, ok. Uh, I said you could come to my house. I just didn't know if you heard me. I've got some sweet tea and macaroni and cheese made. Um, I really wanted you to uh--did you say you're done? Um, wanna come with me to check? Make sure?"

That man had enough faith he just went home. Surely he and Jesus exchanged pleasantries that the Bible doesn't record, but if he had argued, that would have made it in the Book. Granted, he asked when he got home what time his son was healed, but he knew it would line up. Why wouldn't it, right?

I believe this story happened. I believed Jesus turned water into wine. I believe He walked on water. I believe he raised Lazarus. Etc, etc. etc. So why is it so hard to believe that He can solve my problems?

I think it's because it seems too much like expecting to win the lottery sometimes. Sure, somebody will win. 1 out of 123,125,093,862. There are what, like 7 billion people on this Earth. Who cares about what Lacy needs to eat for breakfast?

God does. He is 7 billion people big. He is Lacy small. Mustard seed small in fact. The God of this universe continues to love me, and if I just ask, he'll help me out. He was 20 miles away then. He's a dimension away now. Yet with His words it is done. I can walk home in confidence.

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." --Matthew 17:20

No comments:

Post a Comment