Sunday, January 1, 2012

You want me to do what? For how long?

I heard Sandra Felton on Focus on the Family a few years ago talking about her book The Messies Manual. I had found my soulmate. This woman understood me and my absolute inability to organize. I have come a looooong way. I can now clean out a closet in an hour rather than spending all day reliving the story of every single scrap stuffed in there. It was a combination of reading that book, learning how to take care of my own home, having Brynn, figuring out systems in my classroom, etc.
It is ironic though, that the chapter in that book that made the biggest difference to me I almost skipped. The chapter on Attention Deficit Disorder.
I have a degree in Special Education, concentrating on Learning Disabilities and ADD/ADHD. (Now all categorized ADHD, though I disagree with that decision.) Why would I read this chapter in a self-help book? I read the whole rest of the book before I went back to it.
Every word described me. She wasn't saying that everyone who is messy has ADD, but it certainly didn't help. Really? Could this really be me?? It had never occurred to me before that the reason I was drawn to helping kids with this problem could be because I had a bit of it myself. It was never a problem in school for me because I LOVED school. It was exciting to me. I have great focus when I like what's happening.
However, I have a lot of trouble doing mundane, everyday, boring stuff. Like getting ready for bed. I HATE that whole thing. Brush teeth. Put on pajamas. Take out contacts. Wash face. Ugh. How boring. Not that my whole life is exciting, I just have a really hard time focusing when I have to do those things. I remember always leaving the bathroom while I was brushing my teeth when I was younger. Just walking around helped it seem more bearable. And that whole thing about you're supposed to wash your hands for 2 minutes. Two minutes???? What the heck are you supposed to do for 2 minutes??
I have trouble with remembering more than one thing at a time too. Don't bother asking me to get you some scissors and tape out of the kitchen if the scissors are in the right drawer and the tape is in the basket on the counter. I'll come back with a Diet Pepsi and wonder why you're staring at me questioningly.
I wrote my therapist an email after I read that chapter. "Um, I'm not trying to be like 'look at me and my disability,' but do you think I could have ADD?"
I got back a response that made me laugh. "Yes. I think that's very possible. However, the meds for that can make your anxiety worse. Learn to use sticky notes." I love that lady.
I do write down things if they are of any importance. When I'm lucky, I remember where I wrote it down. I repeat what I'm asked to get/do as I walk down the hall over and over until it is in my hand. I set my timer when I'm cleaning so when I catch it out of the corner of my eye I remember what I'm supposed to be doing and know it isn't going to last forever.
I have trouble in noisy restaurants if Erick is trying to tell me a story. I need blinders on. I literally have to remind myself (in my head) what I'm supposed to be doing.
Phew. This took a lot of focus to stay on topic. :)
All that said, another goal of mine this yea--hmm, let's go for month and see what happens--is to wash my face at least once a day. Either morning or night. Isn't it awful that an Avon lady doesn't wash her face every day? By the time I get to that part of my bedtime routine I'm just fed up with the whole process. But here's to Clean Face January. Maybe I should put it on a sticky note. Seriously....

2 comments:

  1. Omgoodness... I feel ya on the whole bedtime routine. My problem is showering (I know that sounds gross). But once I get in there... I could be in there for days. And I have so much other fun stuff I could be doing out of the shower. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hate taking a shower!!! (I still do of course, when I have to...) I drive my husband crazy. I'll tell him I'm going to go take one and an hour later I'm still messing around doing something else. And drying my hair? OMG. That's the #1 reason I have short hair. :)

    ReplyDelete