Saturday, July 27, 2013

Breathe in, breathe out....

This post isn't about running.
It isn't about being in labor.
It's about living. Day to day. Why is it so hard sometimes to remember to breathe? I just read an interesting article that says all people with anxiety have shallow breathing, which actually leads to having too much air in your body, even though it feels like not enough. This is what leads to hyperventilating when you're super stressed or scared. That's not really related to my topic, just made me go "hmm."
Today has been one of those obnoxious days when I have been too preoccupied with worry to enjoy what is going on around me. I'm assuming I'm not the only teacher that understands this--getting paid all at once at the beginning of the summer ends up being reeeeally tough once August is about to roll around. To be blunt, it feels really sucky to work pretty much a whole month before we finally get a paycheck again. I really stink at budgeting. I am too ADD to keep bills organized and tracked well especially when there isn't a lot of income to work with. Somehow I can get it to work on paper but in real life something doesn't jive. Erick shows up faithfully to my "budget meetings" but his eyes glaze over if anyone says more than two numbers in a sentence.

SO, my ruminating today has been on how are we going to make it until August 25? How are we going to pay for two kids in daycare? What can we sell? How are we going to buy Christmas presents for everyone? How much savings can we take out and still be "safe"? What would Dave Ramsey do?

None of these questions were actually answered during the 14 hours I've been mulling them over. However, this did pop up in my Bible app today.

Matthew 6
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Breathe in.......breathe out......breathe in.......breathe out........

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you and your husband both have smartphones, but we have loved the app EEBA. It is an envelope budgeting app that has totally changed how we spend money. It updates on each of our phones (as well as online) as we spend. Love it.

    I hear you though... August is the roughest month of them all..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I downloaded it, we'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete