Monday, July 15, 2013

Getting stronger!

My mom made my day today. She passed a runner on her way home from the mountains and smiled because she thought about me. No matter how old you are, there's nothing like your mama being proud of you.
Tonight I ran with a friend from high school that I haven't talked to in probably 10 years or so. My first reaction when she asked me about running together tonight was, "Oh man, there is no way I'm ready to try to keep up with someone else!" But honestly it made the run go so much faster and less ugly with her keeping me company! (And she was nice enough not to skunk me completely.) It was absolutely fabulous to not realize until waaaay past the post that was my goal to run to that I had gone so far without switching to walking. Then I made it even farther than that! I'm so thankful to her for unwittingly showing me that I can make it much farther than I think when my brain games are turned off. (See, Jessi, I didn't say you tried to kill me. :)) I'm so excited that I can already tell I'm getting stronger.
I decided my goal is to run a full official 5K in honor of my 30th birthday in May. Maybe one day I'll even be decent enough for my time to count for something. I see hope!
By the way, although this, as I've said, is with the intention of losing some weight, it is so much more fun to have a goal to finish a race than to make a goal of losing ___lbs. It's just so much more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment